Men's Rites of Passage (MROP)
What is the Rites of Passage?
The Men’s Rites of Passage is not just another Catholic/Christian men’s retreat, but five days of formal male initiation. These teachings on the essential lessons and the accompanying rituals of initiation are very resonate with men.
Unfortunately, the proven way to lead males on a spiritual journey has been lost to the West for a thousand years. Franciscan priest Fr. Richard Rohr has reclaimed the ancient patterns of rites of passage and designed a modern day retreat for welcoming men into the male spiritual community. Fr. Richard’s work in this area addresses the reality that if men are not led through an inner journey of powerlessness, they will inevitably misunderstand and abuse power.
Over 5,000 men have now been initiated through these rites of male initiation over the past 15 years. Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM, (the creator of the MROP) and MALEs have trained teams of men to do the same. The Rites of Passage are best for those who have already done some men’s work and who are on a serious spiritual journey. It is best to make this experience as a lone seeker. Fathers and sons are normally not initiated together, nor is it a buddy experience. You may come with friends, but expect to be assigned to a home group where you will be anonymous and start from zero together.
The MROP is a five-day / four night, deeply prayerful and soulful experience that builds on the classic patterns of male initiation through simple and moving rituals and teaching. Each day includes participating in group prayer, major teachings on central masculine spirituality themes, quiet time for reflection, and sharing in the context of a “home group.
Men are asked to come with a willingness to participate from beginning to end and not as an observer. All participants begin at point zero with no agendas to live up or down to. All that is required is for a man to come with a 'beginner's mind' and the readiness of a young novice seeking wisdom. Ultimately, initiation, like life itself, is not a spectator's sport.
This is not about religion, but about spirituality, about age old traditions that guide us into manhood, about coming to trust that there is something much greater at work in our lives than we could ever imagine...
What the MROP is ...
- A personal discovery about masculine spirituality and ‘the Holy Mystery.’
- A time to savor the healing and awesome power of nature.
- A process to address issues of loss, grief, and relationships with our father, other men, and others.
- An opportunity to examine life’s priorities and ask courageous questions about your ‘next step.’
- An invitation to listen to the ‘quiet voice of God.’
- A chance to return to life with a renewed commitment to your gifts.
What the MROP is not ...
- A traditional lecture-based retreat.
- An informational workshop about men’s spirituality.
- A sensitivity training or deprivation experience.
- A threatening process that requires participants to engage in anything strange or unsafe.
- A test of physical stamina.